Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Book # 9 "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

Clearly I have come late to the party about this book. Even thought everyone and her mother, best friend, son's preschool teacher, and daughter's softball coach have read this book. But, hey, I'm here and WOW what a book. I always have this fear when it comes to reading a book "everybody" loved that I will just hate it. I won't get what all the fuss is about. Thankfully, this is not the case with "The Help". What a wonderful book, really exceptional.

Written from three different perspectives it tells the story of race relations in Mississippi during the 60's between the Junior League crowd and their domestics. Even if each section didn't tell you who was telling the portion of the story you would be able to tell. Each voice is so strong and distinct. While there a large important themes in this book it's the small quite moments that stand out for me. Being in the position of taking care of other people's children I understand a little (very little in the since of the social issues) what it's like to invest time and love into these little ones only to lose them from your life.

I'm so glad this book lived up to all the praise it has received. I plan on passing this along to my sisters, best friend, and day care parents. What a wonderful book. I can't wait to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment