Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Book # 24 "To Kill an Armchair Husband" by Terri Weeding

What to say about this book. I liked it, I may have even really liked it. I'll have to think about it for a bit.

But here's the thing. It calls itself a comedy and I didn't really get it as one. I suppose I could see where it would be funny, it just didn't hit those buttons for me.

That being said, I liked the story and characters a lot. More importantly it surprised me. I thought I knew the direction the story was going and it took a total turn and went somewhere completely different and it took me right along with it.

The story begins with Charlie Score making list of pros and cons for killing her chair-potato husband Billy. When she decides killing him is better than divorcing him the problems arrive. It seems Billy won't die. This is where the comedy is suppose to start. Charlie decides to kill overweight, out of shape Billy with a mixture of E.D. medication and vigorous sex. I think it was suppose to play out like a comedy of errors as each attempt fails but that part didn't work for me.

What did work is the overall story. As Billy realizes what a lump of a husband he's become and tries to change his ways with surprising results and Charlie realizes maybe she doesn't want Billy dead after all the story get interesting. I thought I knew where the story was going and boy, was I wrong. I'm glad I was because I really liked where it went.

As a dark comedy I don't really think this was successful, I saw what Weeding was going for and I'm sure there are going to be people who find it laugh out load funny, it just didn't work for me. But as a novel of marriage and where it can take you sometimes and the results of how you deal with where it take you, it totally worked for me.

I do look forward to Weeding's next book. I'd like to see what she's comes up with

No comments:

Post a Comment